Our Key Stage 1 and 2 Curriculum
From Year 1 to Year 6 pupils follow a topic based curriculum which incorporates all National Curriculum subjects.
Our curriculum is enhanced and supported by:
- A creative, dynamic and interactive learning and teaching environment to support and challenge individual learning;
- WOW days;
- Outdoor environment and local community use;
- A formal timetabled programme of lessons which are based on the National Curriculum;
- Extra-curricular activities such as year group drama productions, music clubs, sports opportunities etc;
- Outside educational visits and trips to enrich subjects and topics, such as visits to museums and art galleries, the local market, Suntrap etc;
- Outside speakers and visitors in school for example parents, authors, Community Police Officer etc;
- Peripetic teachers deliver instrumental music lesson to individual pupils(this will incur a cost);
- Having specialist teachers for PE, Music and Drama.
More information about our curriculum and topics is shared with parents and carers through:
- Half termly letters to parents;
- The School website;
- Class assemblies;
- Invitations to exhibitions, workshops and displays in school;
- The school Facebook and Twitter@BuxtonSchInfo;
We are committed to creating a curriculum which is inclusive and relevant to our pupils and community. Links are made through subjects as part of our IPC creative topic based curriculum.
Mathematics and English are taught as discreet subjects and link to the class topic where appropriate. Phonics, spelling and reading are also taught as discreet subjects across the school.